Friday, June 19, 2009

Monkey Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing

Pat's Soccer Team (Portugal)is having the last games of the playoffs tomorrow and I said I would bring cupcakes. Here they are in the team colours - Yeah Team!!

These are also posted for Saucy's Virtual Cupcake Saturday. Saucy is very creative and is having a cupcake baking class that I would love to attend (too far - boohoo)but she has opened it up so we can link our blogs and see what those that can't make it to the class have done.

The cupcakes taste delicious if you can get past the intense look of the icing - its what my little guy wanted and he thinks they are perfect. He was really intrigued by the gel food colours so I have hidden them away. He wanted to use them in his bath but we compromised and he had dark green milk instead.









Monkey Cupcakes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour muffin tin or use silicone or paper cup liners.

In a large bowl combine and mix the following ingredients:

1 cup of flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 teaspoon baking powder









In a small bowl combine and mix the following ingredients very well:









1 large ripe mashed banana
2 tablespoons plain or vanilla yoghurt
One beaten egg
¼ cup of milk
¾ teaspoons of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Add half of the banana mixture and 5 tablespoons of butter to the flour mixture. Mix until the flour mixture is moistened and gradually mix in the remaining banana mixture. You may need to add in a bit more milk but the dough is a bit stiff.









Scoop the batter into the muffin cups and cook for approximately 20 minutes. Cupcakes will be golden brown. Cool and frost cupcakes with buttercream icing.


















Buttercream Icing


Mix 2 cups of icing sugar, ¼ cup of butter, ½ teaspoon vanilla and dashes of cream until frosting is spreadable.

ENJOY!!

6 comments:

Saucy said...

Man, those are CUTE! I'm glad you could participate in Cupcake Saturday, my friend. Wish you could be here for the IRL version also.

Lurrve,
Saucy

Junie Moon said...

They sound as yummy as they look. I'm positive the kids thoroughly enjoyed the cupcakes.

I'm so glad Saucy gave us an opportunity to join in on Cupcake Saturday. It will give me a chance to learn how to make better cupcakes by discovering what you other bakers are creating.

Amy said...

They look wonderful! I am still new enough to making cupcakes that taste wonderful so I am haven't made any for my kids to take places. Those look great. I wish I could be there too for the live version. I wish I had a Saucy that lived close to me.

E said...

I think those are so much FUN!!!! I will have to give that recipe a try!!!

Jerri-Lea said...

Looks good!! It was a fun day though time went by really quickly!! I was keeping a close eye on the clock and trying to keep us on track for our 4pm end time. I had to rush off to my daughter's last guitar lesson... hope to have everything posted soon! Thanks for popping by!

alittlebitofscrap said...

Oh, those sound yummy and I love banana, however, my dh is allergic to them.. More for me :)